Here’s how BCCI will divide IPL media rights money between franchises, players, state associations, and staff
IPL became the second-most revenue-earning sporting property after selling the media rights for 2023-27 for a sum of INR 48,390 crore
Updated - Jun 15, 2022 4:59 pm
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) stunned a lot of people around the world as the Indian Premier League (IPL) became the second-most revenue-earning sporting property after selling the media rights for IPL 2023-27 for a whopping sum of INR 48,390 crore. Such has been the impact of the tournament in the country ever since its inception in 2008 and there has been a meteoric rise in the popularity of the cash-rich league around the world.
The introduction of two new teams this year was a grand success and the number of matches was subsequently raised as well. This means that the window for the IPL season has been increased and no wonder, the revenue from the media rights has produced a jaw-dropping effect on the fans.
But, it has to be noted the revenue will be properly distributed to boost the domestic cricket structure in the country, and the BCCI secretary, Jay Shah has been quite keen on distributing it to the deserved personnel and authorities. Stakeholders such as the IPL franchises, players, state associations and the staff will all be eligible for getting a share of the revenue.
Here’s how the distribution of the IPL media rights revenue takes place
It has been learnt from the series of tweets by Shah himself that half of INR 48,390 crore will be distributed between the eight original franchises namely, Mumbai Indians, Chennai Super Kings, Kolkata Knight Riders, Rajasthan Royals, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Punjab Kings, and Delhi Capitals. Each of these eight teams is expected to get around INR 3,000 crore while the two new teams Gujarat Titans and Lucknow Super Giants will have to wait for some time to get that amount of share.
Meanwhile, the other half (INR 24, 195 crore) will be shared with the players and the state associations. According to reports, 26 percent of the second half will be distributed among domestic and international players while four of the remaining 74 percent has been allotted for the staff salaries. The remaining 70 percent will be allotted to the various state associations.
On calculations, INR 6290 crore (approx.) will be shared with the players while INR 16,936 crore (approx.) with BCCI-affiliated state boards from the second half of the overall generated revenue through the media rights.